This post does not bemoan Obama’s bathroom policy. That issue has received more than ample coverage. Rather, it asks why he is forcing this policy on the American people.
Answering that question requires that we deal with two preliminary issues. First, despite smarmy attempts to cloud the issue, make no mistake that he is forcing this policy on us. Though Obama’s bill is only a “suggestion,” those failing to take the hint get their educational funds turned off. Of course, the federal government has been playing this game for years, taking our money and then giving it back to us with strings attached, thus using this mechanism to control education and many other aspects of our lives. Obama’s bathroom diktat, however, represents the most blatant exercise of this power to date.
Identifying Obama’s motivation requires that we grasp this policy’s full implications. Some of them you have heard repeatedly, so I will not drag you through them again. Many Americans, however, are not familiar with other provisions. Ben Johnson in an article entitled, “The most dangerous, and underreported, part of Obama’s transgender edict,” divulges significant predominantly unknown aspects of Obama’s policy.
- All a person needs to do to change gender is report to the school office that he feels like a different gender. He immediately must be treated according to the gender he chooses. He does not need to display any dress or behavioral characteristics of his newfound gender. In other words, a guy can continue to dress and act like a guy.
- A person can change genders as often as he chooses. Combining this provision together with the one above means that a guy can report to the office the hour before girls’ gym class that he feels like a girl, and without making any other changes take a shower with the girls. Apart from restraining Christian convictions, how many guys would not take full advantage of that arrangement? In fact, it is difficult to imagine the office not being mobbed with guys feeling feminine before gym class.
- On overnight field trips or athletic trips, a person claiming to be transgender will be housed in the same room with those of the opposite biological gender. No discrimination by school authorities is permitted. In addition, they are not allowed to inform roommates (or their parents) that someone of the opposite biological sex will be sleeping in the room with them. In fact, school authorities are not permitted to divulge the biological sex of anyone, so depending on how well a transgender boy disguises his sex, a girl may not be aware of it when she steps out of the shower.
This policy is bound to be the ruination of women’s athletics because if boys claiming to feel like girls are allowed on girls teams, frequently they will be the best players, resulting in girls’ teams being comprised predominantly of transgenders.
Why would Obama advance policies so insane and disruptive? Let me suggest some possibilities.
- Obama has exposed his love for raw power in various ways. His pronouncement that he has a pen and a phone in effect asserted that he can and will function as a dictator and revealed that he enjoys that role. This mandate is about as dictatorial as it gets.
- This policy strikes at the very heart of Christian culture. Sexual morality comprises one of its major elements, and this policy all but eradicates sexual morality. Obama has displayed hostility toward Christianity in numerous ways, and therefore he may be motivated to enact this policy in order to destroy it.
- Related to the item above, Obama might also intend this edict to crush the spirit of Christians. If he can force your daughter to expose herself to any boy desiring to see her naked body, he has reduced you to a powerless, abject slave. Even for those Christians who have no daughters, the fact that Obama can exercise this level of raw power over Christian girls engenders in them a sense of total demoralization and absolute defeat.
- Linked to that motive may be his demented desire to demean. His choice of John Kerry, the betrayer of our nation during the Vietnam era, as Secretary of State reveals this detestable aspect of his character. More recently, his appointment of Eric Fanning, an openly gay man, as Secretary of the Army, and Barbara Satin, a transgender to be a member of the president’s Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, provide other examples of his enjoyment of poking conservatives in the eye. His bathroom policy seems to be another manifestation of his joy in demeaning those of a different position.
So what is his motive? It may be all of the above. Whichever it might be, it comprises a display of raw, dictatorial power.
As Christians, what might we do? We can count on the Republican Congress to do nothing, just as they have with ObamaCare and virtually every other one of Obama’s dictatorial initiatives. The only solution resides in the evangelical church. I have written a book that I hope will appear on the Internet and bookstore shelves in a couple of months that provides a sure strategy for defeating the Left. It is my hope that evangelical Christians will read and apply it. If the church does not act now, it will soon be too late.