The Meaning of America’s Response to the Supreme Court Marriage Decision

Just considering the facts, the response of America to the Supreme Court marriage decision would seem strange.

My daughter was in New York City at the time, and celebration exploded everywhere, in the streets, in stores, almost anywhere one looked. They happened to look at the website of a historic church and found the rainbow colors displayed on the homepage. Across America those colors found their way into the logos of many businesses, on personal websites, and in almost every other imaginable location. The White House conveyed unbounded joy.

Two salient factors highlight the oddity of this response.

The first is found in the relatively meaninglessness of the decision at a practical level. It’s not like homosexuals could not get married before. They could. It’s just that previously these relationships were not recognized by the government. But that was of little practical concern since many states had provisions for civil unions that recognized the relationship for legal purposes, and many corporations provided homosexual couples the same rights that they conferred on married people. This is not to suggest that homosexuals derived no benefits from the Supreme Court decision, but the point is that it is not as though homosexuals were being chained in dungeons or prohibited entrance into “straights only” hotels. Rather, it seems to me that the lifestyle of homosexuals will change very little as a result of the court’s decision. Therefore, the exuberance of the celebration seems at first consideration substantially disproportionate to the practical benefits derived.

A second factor that superficially seems to make the response appear to be over-the-top is found in the rather well substantiated statistic that homosexuals comprise somewhere around 2% to possibly 3% of the American population. What motivated the expressions of jubilation from a significant segment of the other 97%, especially in light of the minimal practical benefits just cited? Why were college campuses so jubilant and corporations so ecstatic?

The answer is of utmost significance, especially to evangelical Christians, and it is this. This Supreme Court decision ultimately represents not merely a victory for homosexuals, but more significantly it signals that the sixties culture has triumphed over Christianity in the culture war. Those holding the post-Christian worldview have politically defeated those embracing a Christian worldview.

Therefore, this decision connotes that America is no longer a Christian nation. It is a sixties philosophy nation, however one wants to label that. This decision establishes the reality that Christian values no longer represent this country, and those adhering to and promoting Christian values have totally lost control. Therefore, it is a victory for all those belonging to that significant segment of society that adheres to and promotes the sixties perspective and lifestyle.

A major reason that this issue represents a turning point resides in the significance of marriage. How often have Christians made the case that the family comprises the basic building block of society? If we really believe that, then we must admit that Christian principles no longer shape that foundational element of our culture, but rather secular ones do. Beyond that, in light of the significance of the family and the weakness of the case of homosexual marriage, if the sixties cultural advocates can win on this issue, they can beat us on almost any issue.

Or let me frame the catastrophe that has been signaled by the Supreme Court decision in another way. The American Revolution has now sunk to the despicable depths of the French Revolution. The historic difference resided in the Christian bedrock that provided the American Revolution with a stable foundation for building a nation. I would encourage you to read the history of the French Revolution with its chaos, the arbitrary decision-making process (as seen in the Supreme Court this past week), the cruelty, the instability, and the dominance of irrational ideas. Read the history of the French Revolution, and you will see what America has in store apart from some unforeseen reversal in our cultural direction.

Hope for America can only be found through action by the evangelical church: not bluster and bravado, but unity, wisdom, strategy, sacrifice, and courage. With each passing victory of the left, regaining our Christian nation becomes more difficult. Will the church rise to the task? That remains to be seen.

 

Have a comment?