If you don’t believe it, read the following quoted from the blog Freedom is Just Another Word.
This is Canada’s Top Ten List of America’s Stupidity.
10) Only in America … could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.
9) Only in America … could people claim that the government still discriminates against “black” Americans when they have a “black” President, a “black” Attorney General and roughly 20% of the federal workforce is “black” while only 14% of the population is “black”. 40+% of all federal entitlements goes to “black” Americans – 3X the rate that go to whites, 5X the rate that go to Hispanics!
8) Only in America … could they have had the two people most responsible for their tax code, Timothy Geithner (the head of the Treasury Department) and Charles Rangel (who once ran the Ways and Means Committee), BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.
7) Only in America … can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.
6) Only in America … would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege, while they discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just ‘magically’ become American citizens.
5) Only in America … could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country’s Constitution be thought of as “extremists.”
4) Only in America … could you need to present a driver’s license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.
3) Only in America … could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).
2) Only in America … could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a Trillion dollars more than it has per year – for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn’t have nearly enough money.
1) Only in America … could the rich people – who pay 86% of all income taxes – be accused of not paying their “fair share” by lazy people who don’t pay any income taxes at all.
What is worse, these ten items only scratch the surface of American folly. It doesn’t even mention manifestations of our environmental madness, which are countless, dysfunctional approaches to education, etc.
Which brings me to the connection between this list and the purpose of this blog. My last post addressed America’s rejection of reason in favor of feelings as our basis for decision making. The list above reveals that abandonment of reason. Every item on the list defies common sense, not to mention rational analysis.
But in addition, these manifestations of irrationality are driven by some feelings-oriented agenda such as envy. The President constantly complains that the rich are not paying their fair share. However, this is not a rational concern as evidenced by his failure to ever state how much that fair share would be or why. This omission is especially telling in light of the overwhelming percentage that the rich already pay. Rather he is appealing to the emotion of envy to gain political advantage.
This list drives home the reality that a nation cannot long endure using feelings as its decision-making mechanism any more than a bipolar personality could long survive living in a manic state. We have survived thus far by living off of the wealth earned by rational generations of the past and by spending the money of future generations. However, the credits from previous generations are used up and (to our shame) we have come close to maxing out the credit card of our children and grandchildren. In other words, this feelings-orientation is bankrupting us economically, not to mention its destruction relationally, physically, militarily, and in other aspects of American life. In light of the mess we are making of this once prosperous nation, is it any wonder the rest of the world is laughing at us?
In the next post I plan to identify the survival technique used by our society so as not to completely crash and burn under the influence of its manic cultural bent.